Friday, April 18, 2008

The 2008 Season has arrived

So, the 2008 racing season has finally started and so far it has gone pretty well. I started my season with the ACA Mingo Park Road Race Series, which was promoted by Don M. and his Trek of PGH Stores. The Mingo Road Race Circuit is a challenging loop of about 5 miles, with one climb in the loop. There were 3 races in this series and I manage to take two second places and a first place at the last race, which gave me the 40+ masters overall series win. My long standing friend and competitor, Gunnar S., was second overall, but only because he did not show for the last race. He took the first two wins in the series, mostly because I have no sprint. Instead of doing Mingo, Gunnar and my Speedgoat/SPK/Salsa Teammate Andy Gorski decided to go down to the Parkersburg, WV Area for the WVMBA Series Race at Mountwood. Andy had a nice race taking third in the pro/expert men’s class. Unfortunately Gunnar was miss directed off course somewhere at the beginning of the race with two other racers, which cause all three racers to do an extra lap.

For me, Mingo was a nice way to warm up for my season of MTB racing. This week is the start of the NUE Series in Cohutta, TN with the Cohutta 100. Last year I finished a respectable 6th place, so I am hoping to have another good race down there. The field is stacked this year with riders from all over the country attending, among them is a guy name Floyd Landis. This will be my second race against Floyd in less than a year and I am sure that he will make it a fast one.

I do apologize for not writing more during the off season, but now that things are rolling again my writing will too. I will update this page with my race details about the Cohutta 100 early next week. - Gerry

No comments: